Skip over generic navigation
Skip over primary navigation
Skip over visual
Skip over functional column
Berlin: 2009. 918 pages (includes material on CD).
This comprehensive academic study examines the growth of the precious metal market and the companies involved in it during the Hitler regime. While the sector-based analysis presents details of the origins of the economic model prior to World War II and the structure of the large-scale theft and use of these metals during the war, the main focus of the study is on the business activities of Deutsche Gold- und Silber-Scheideanstalt (which became Degussa AG in 1980). This company was by far the largest German precious metal refinery and maintained production facilities in Frankfurt, Pforzheim, Berlin, and Hanau.
Frankfurt on the Main: 2008. 60 pages.
In 1933, former Degussa AG purchased the premises of what had been the Royal Prussian Gunpowder Factory (est. 1875) and what is today's Wolfgang Industrial Park. In addition to tracing the historical development of the site, the brochure details the importance of the site as a key research location for Evonik.
Munich: 2007. 112 pages.
This publication tells the exciting story of Darmstadt-based Evonik Röhm GmbH, which was established in 1907 as “Röhm & Haas” by chemist Dr. Otto Röhm and entrepreneur Otto Haas. Röhm gained world fame in the 1930s with the success of its product PLEXIGLAS®, a transparent plastic made from methacrylate. The publication was compiled for the company’s centennial celebration and contains numerous images of products and technical developments.
Düsseldorf: 2006. 60 pages, contains many illustrations and images.
Available in German and English.
The entertaining history of the former Degussa AG, which is now the Chemicals Business Area of Evonik Industries AG.
Munich: 2004. 486 pages.
This academic study examines the involvement of the former Deutsche Gold und Silber-Scheideanstalt (Degussa AG from 1980) in the crimes of the Nazi regime. It focuses on the extent to which the management of Degussa took direct part, knew about, or profited from the armament program during the Third Reich, the processing of stolen gold, the “Aryanization” campaign, the use of forced labor, and the use of Cyclon B poison in concentration camps.
Munich: 2003. 464 pages.
An analysis of corporate history, this work details the growth of the former Chemische Werke Hüls. Originally founded in Marl by IG Farben in 1938 to produce synthetic rubber (Buna), which was important for the arms industry, Hüls AG became an independent company after World War II, but continued for longer to be dominated by various shareholders with a wide range of interests.
Trostberg: 2000. 44 pages.
Brief description of the ninety-year history of the former Bayerische Stickstoffwerke AG, later Süddeutsche Kalkstickstoff-Werke AG, tracing the company’s growth from a manufacturer of calcium cyanamide to an international specialty chemicals company.
Frankfurt on the Main: 1998. 352 pages.
Degussa researchers working at the company describe the life and work of those men whose invention played a key role in the growth of the company. The publication contains portraits of Harry Kloepfer, Otto Liebknecht, Johannes Pfleger, Werner Schwarze, Norbert Brock, Hans Verbeek, and many others. Published on the occasion of the 125th incorporation anniversary of the former Degussa.
Frankfurt on the Main: 1993. 340 pages.
This book discusses the growth of the former Degussa AG from a precious metal refinery of the Frankfurt Mint (1843) to a global corporation with business activities in chemicals, precious metals, and pharmaceuticals. Published on the 150th anniversary of the precious metal refinery.
Recklinghausen: 1990. Approx. 90 pages.
Special edition of the employee newsletter of the former Hüls AG on the occasion of the first-ever nationwide open house day for chemical companies held in 1990. The folder includes ten special prints in which Hüls presented each of its German plants as well as its holdings Hüls Troisdorf AG (HT) and Röhm GmbH with product portfolios, a brief history, and an outlook statement by the corresponding plant managers. The sites included the plants at Bottrop, Herne, Lülsdorf, Marl, Rheinfelden, Scholven, Steyerberg, Troisdorf/Hüls Troisdorf AG, Witten, and Röhm GmbH.
Recklinghausen: 1988. 72 pages.
Special edition of the company magazine on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of Hüls AG as Chemische Werke Hüls GmbH. Includes the following essays:
For any questions about our publications please use our contact form.